Restoring desktop wallet when computer crashed

Lovey B

Greetings Guap Community and Guap Support,

Could anyone in the space lead me to support or whom I should connect with in getting my nodes re-uploaded onto my computer? I had a computer crash and lost my wallet. 

Much gratitude in advance!!

Lovey 

Hi Lovey B! Welcome!  So sorry about the computer crash!  You will need your private keys or wallet backup.  Do you have the wallet private keys (don't post them here, I just want to make sure you have them).  You would have the private keys by following these instructions here: https://www.guaptalk.org/topic/85-backing-up-your-desktop-wallet/

First Install a New Desktop Wallet:

1. Download the latest wallet from here: https://guapcoin.org/get-guap/
  2. Once the wallet is installed, launch it and let it fully sync.

Restoring the wallet from a backup file:

1. Go to Settings, then Debug, and choose Console
  2. In the Console, type importwallet and then type the filename of your backupfile and then hit enter, so it will look like this - importwallet 12345678GBQA and then hit enter. 
    1. image.thumb.png.832284c8c5b849ffdd6add5c1221ff98.png

Restoring the wallet from a private key:

1. Go to Settings, then Debug, and choose Console
  2. In the Console, type importprivkey and then type your private key, so it will look like this - importprivkey GC987654321 and then hit enter. 
  3. image.thumb.png.7fe49c8311e2c4888bf51d9ba28d8933.png
  4. That will be the process for each private key you have.

• The title was changed to Restoring desktop wallet when computer crashed

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your response. Tavonia backed up my Wallet last year for me. However, I am not for sure about private keys. I have the backup file. Will I be able to access those private keys through that backup file? 

In the meantime, I will follow the instructions and let you know.

Much gratitude again!

3 hours ago, Lovey B said:

Hello Keith,

Thank you for your response. Tavonia backed up my Wallet last year for me. However, I am not for sure about private keys. I have the backup file. Will I be able to access those private keys through that backup file? 

In the meantime, I will follow the instructions and let you know.

Much gratitude again!

Hi Lovey,

It's great that you have the backup file! I updated the instructions above to reflect the two methods of restoring your wallet (note the different code you type for each method).  With the backup file, you'll want to use the first option.

You won't be able to get the private key directly from that backup file.  You would have needed to export the private key(s) before the old wallet crashed.  Once you have your wallet restored from the backup file, you'll be able to backup the private keys as well.

Keep us posted!