Masternode not initialized

jermaingordon

Hello everyone! I recently tried to set up a VPS masternode, but in the local wallet the status changes to MISSING . When i check the getmasternodestatus via the ssh console, i get this message :  error: {"code":-1,"message":"Active Masternode not initialized."}

Where should i check ? I tried to start the masternode in the wallet by clicking the Start Inactive/s button and the status changes to ENABLED...then ACTIVE. Then later on it changes to MISSING. 

Thanks!

VPS running Ubuntu 20.04

Hello there, and welcome!  Glad to have you around.  And congratulations on working to build your own self-installed masternode.  It does take some practice, patience, and perseverance to get the hang of it.  Unfortunately, when you get that error message in the console like you describe, it means something didn't go right with the masternode installation.  If everything went correctly during setup, you'll run the guapcoin-cli getmasternodestatus command in the SSH console a few minutes after starting the node in your wallet and then you'll see a message that contains these words:
“status” : 4, “message” : “Masternode successfully started”

You can try a few times to get the wallet to start it, and even wait 15-30mins, but if you're still getting the error code 1 message, then something isn't set up correctly.  When it's done correctly, you'll see the status 4 confirmation usually within 5-15mins max.

In my experience, your next steps to try are:

1. Destroy the VPS server and reinstall everything from scratch, but use the same transaction.  You might try Ubuntu 18.04.  I've had better success with that than 20.
  2. If you try step 1 a few times, you could try a new 10,000 transaction to a new wallet address in case the transaction is the issue.  Then repeat step 1.
  3. You could try Pecunia or iHostMN for setting up your masternode.  Read more about them here: Masternode Setup

Let us know how things go, and you can also jump into the guap support telegram too where community members chat and help each other: Guap Support Telegram

• Like 1

On 3/21/2023 at 12:42 AM, Keith said:

Hello there, and welcome!  Glad to have you around.  And congratulations on working to build your own self-installed masternode.  It does take some practice, patience, and perseverance to get the hang of it.  Unfortunately, when you get that error message in the console like you describe, it means something didn't go right with the masternode installation.  If everything went correctly during setup, you'll run the guapcoin-cli getmasternodestatus command in the SSH console a few minutes after starting the node in your wallet and then you'll see a message that contains these words:

You can try a few times to get the wallet to start it, and even wait 15-30mins, but if you're still getting the error code 1 message, then something isn't set up correctly.  When it's done correctly, you'll see the status 4 confirmation usually within 5-15mins max.

1. Destroy the VPS server and reinstall everything from scratch, but use the same transaction.  You might try Ubuntu 18.04.  I've had better success with that than 20.
  2. If you try step 1 a few times, you could try a new 10,000 transaction to a new wallet address in case the transaction is the issue.  Then repeat step 1.
  3. You could try Pecunia or iHostMN for setting up your masternode.  Read more about them here: Masternode Setup

Let us know how things go, and you can also jump into the guap support telegram too where community members chat and help each other: Guap Support Telegram

Hi, Thanks for responding. I re-created the VPS using Ubuntu 18 but i am still getting that same message on the vps console. Just to be clear, it is ok for me to use a desktop wallet (on my mac) to hold the masternode quapcoins ? I want to make sure i didnt need to actually install the wallet on the vps itself as a gui, i was only using the console commands since i could load the wallet in gui during my previous trial attempts.

Also, I did notice that the private key that i see when i add the node to the desktop wallet (Masternode -> Info -> Export)  is not the same as the one generated from my vps node.  is it possible to force the wallet to use my vps private key or should i rebuild the vps again  without having the  installtion create its own private key? If i still dont get it to work this way, i will try using the pecunia or iHostMN option 😞 . 

Thanks for you suggestions, i am also in the telegram group already (little difficult to navigate there) .

On 3/21/2023 at 12:42 AM, Keith said:

Here is a follow up ! I decided to look at the masternode.conf and guapcoin.conf file (on the vps server) and made sure the priv key that was generated from the wallet on the mac is what i was using on both files on the server. After editing the files, rebooting the server, then restarting the wallet (node status was showing missing at that time) and starting the node from the wallet... i then went to the vps and ran the getmasternodestatus and i now get a new message : "Masternode successfully started". !! 🙂

The status in my wallet is still showing active, so i will leave both alone for a day to see if the status changes. So is there anything else for me to do at this point or am i "all set"? Thank again!

1 hour ago, jermaingordon said:

Here is a follow up ! I decided to look at the masternode.conf and guapcoin.conf file (on the vps server) and made sure the priv key that was generated from the wallet on the mac is what i was using on both files on the server. After editing the files, rebooting the server, then restarting the wallet (node status was showing missing at that time) and starting the node from the wallet... i then went to the vps and ran the getmasternodestatus and i now get a new message : "Masternode successfully started". !! 🙂

The status in my wallet is still showing active, so i will leave both alone for a day to see if the status changes. So is there anything else for me to do at this point or am i "all set"? Thank again!

Nice work there sleuthing it out and solving the problem.  That would make sense about the priv key issue since they have to match in order for the node to start and sync with the blockchain network.  Here are a few other thoughts

• Backup Your Wallet - Very Important - here is the link with instructions: https://www.guaptalk.org/topic/85-backing-up-your-desktop-wallet/
  • Now that the VPS says the Masternode is started, it will take a few hours to go to Enabled in your desktop wallet.  That's what you're watching for.  That means it's connected to the blockchain, recognized as a valid node, and in line to start receiving rewards.  It will take about 1-2 days for your first reward to show up, and then they'll come daily.
  • You definitely don't need to install the Guap GUI wallet on the VPS server, and you don't need to send coins to that wallet.  In fact, you need to have your coins in a separate wallet, like you have done on your Mac computer.
  • When you're building the masternode on the VPS server, you can choose to have the install files create a masternode private key, or just use one that you've created.  I've done both.
  • Keep learning, connecting with the community, and looking for ways you can help this movement grow...and check out the beginner's guide if you haven't already: https://www.guaptalk.org/topic/220-beginners-guide-to-guapcoin/

Let us know if you have other questions or thoughts!