How to update masternode running Ubuntu 16.04?

Joe

I have a problem with the 2.3.2 masternode update. My VPS is running Ubuntu 16.04 and there doesn't seem to be a script available to update it. I've only found 18.04 and 20.04. I have updated my MN wallet to 2.3.2 but the information on the Ubuntu 16.04 upgrade is missing on GitHub. How do I upgrade my VPS to 2.3.2 version, I can't seem to get an answer anywhere?

Hi Joe! 

Nice job having a masternode and working to update it!  I'm fairly certain that you'll need to update your VPS to Ubuntu 18.04 at least, since I don't think Guapcoin MN code is setup for 16.04 anymore, but I'll try to confirm this with other community members/developers.

• The title was changed to How to update masternode running Ubuntu 16.04?

Thanks Keith. Do I have to then install a fresh from scratch MN installation on my VPS, or is there a script that will do both? I ask because an upgrade on the VPS will wipe my data from the VPS.

I have one other question pertaining to this, Is this the current installation script for 20.04? If so, do I have to separate it at the (&& } ?

• cd Guap-v2.3.2-MN && chmod +x ./GUAP-v2.3.2-20.04-MN.sh && ./GUAP-v2.3.2-20.04-MN.sh
Edited by Joe

Hi Joe!

That line is part of the script.  For Ubuntu 20.04, you'll want to do the following:

Instructions found here: https://github.com/guapcrypto/Guap-v2.3.2-MN

1. Log into the VPS with root
  2. Run this: sudo apt-get install -y git-core
  3. Run this: git clone https://github.com/guapcrypto/Guap-v2.3.2-MN.git
  4. Run this: cd Guap-v2.3.2-MN && chmod +x ./GUAP-v2.3.2-20.04-MN.sh && ./GUAP-v2.3.2-20.04-MN.sh
  5. Continue with the steps noted at the above link.

Line item 4 (that you pasted above) is a full command.  You don't need to separate it at the "&&" marks, but you do need to run the previous 2 commands first.

• Love 1

Good Morning friends, I spent the last week upgrading to Ubuntu v20.04 on all my VPS. I then installed a fresh install of  v 2.3.2 for 20.04 from scratch on all VPS. It is slow and tedious work LOL.  Now when I start my wallets they don't update to the current block. If you have any suggestions they will be greatly appreciated. I had already updated my wallets to v 2.3.2 and they appeared to be working prior to the VPS upgrades. Thanks so much for all the help.

Thanks Sigma25, I usually do my own with a little help. This one isn't as straight forward as the previous 2 because this time I had to also upgrade my VPS servers. I am stupid but I can follow good instructions.😁

You're doing awesome Joe!  It sounds like you might still have the old wallet version 2.3.1 also installed and maybe you're opening that one up?  When you open the wallet that won't update to the current block is it version 2.3.1 or 2.3.2?

Here's what I realized on Windows PC's. You most likely have 2 installations of Guap wallet, one is the old 2.3.1 and one is the 2.3.2, and you are inadvertently opening the old version.  

After making sure that your desktop wallet is updated to 2.3.2 and is backed up, go into your add/remove programs and uninstall the old Guap 2.3.1 app from your list of programs.  Let us know if that makes sense and helps you out.

20 hours ago, Keith said:

You're doing awesome Joe!  It sounds like you might still have the old wallet version 2.3.1 also installed and maybe you're opening that one up?  When you open the wallet that won't update to the current block is it version 2.3.1 or 2.3.2?

Here's what I realized on Windows PC's. You most likely have 2 installations of Guap wallet, one is the old 2.3.1 and one is the 2.3.2, and you are inadvertently opening the old version.  

After making sure that your desktop wallet is updated to 2.3.2 and is backed up, go into your add/remove programs and uninstall the old Guap 2.3.1 app from your list of programs.  Let us know if that makes sense and helps you out.

Thank you so much. I must have looked at it wrong or misdiagnosis the problem. I am actually syncing to the last block. The problem is that my status on several MNs keep changing from enabled to inactive to expired, etc. I checked the MN status command in Putty on the VPS and it says "not initialized."  One said this is not a MN so I ran the setup on that one again. Is there some sort of initialization process that has to be performed in console or something? Both wallets are running 2.3.2, I verified it as you suggested.

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the update.  Any progress today?  You can always pop into the Guapcoin Support Telegram  https://t.me/joinchat/HgQWhIFCqaeXLzPF  and ask some questions and see if you get some real-time responses.  I've asked @Sigma25 to check in as well since he's very familiar with setting up self-hosted MN's too. You will want to make sure that you've started each MN in the wallet console using the command: startmasternode alias false MN-Name where you replace MN-Name with the name you've given your masternode (or go to the masternode tab, click on the 3 dots by the masternode you need to start and choose start).  It sounds like you've done this before though so you're probably already doing that. 

Also once you start the masternode, you'll want to wait 4-8 hours as it should cycle from active to enabled (and sometimes will say missing as a step in-between).

Good morning.  I'm catching up.  If there was any instance where you had to hit enter after inputting your IP address to finish the installation of the files, that could be the issue.  Anytime the installation was not clean through for me, I couldn't start the MN with 20.04.  I have not had this problem with 18.04.  I was providing personal technical support for another person and had this issues.  I entered the third line of the script again.  Also trying entering the "cd (space)" command and hitting enter.  This would but you back in the base directory.  I'm available at work if caught at the right time as work is very fluid for me at the moment.  

17 hours ago, Keith said:

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the update.  Any progress today?  You can always pop into the Guapcoin Support Telegram  https://t.me/joinchat/HgQWhIFCqaeXLzPF  and ask some questions and see if you get some real-time responses.  I've asked @Sigma25 to check in as well since he's very familiar with setting up self-hosted MN's too. You will want to make sure that you've started each MN in the wallet console using the command: startmasternode alias false MN-Name where you replace MN-Name with the name you've given your masternode (or go to the masternode tab, click on the 3 dots by the masternode you need to start and choose start).  It sounds like you've done this before though so you're probably already doing that. 

Also once you start the masternode, you'll want to wait 4-8 hours as it should cycle from active to enabled (and sometimes will say missing as a step in-between).

I went through and read all the MN in one wallet yesterday and most of issues were "not initialized" eventhough I have initialized from the 3 dots in the wallet. They do show active for hours but will eventually go back to either inactive or expired status. I will try them from the console command that you gave me and go from there. Thanks.

4 hours ago, Sigma25 said:

Good morning.  I'm catching up.  If there was any instance where you had to hit enter after inputting your IP address to finish the installation of the files, that could be the issue.  Anytime the installation was not clean through for me, I couldn't start the MN with 20.04.  I have not had this problem with 18.04.  I was providing personal technical support for another person and had this issues.  I entered the third line of the script again.  Also trying entering the "cd (space)" command and hitting enter.  This would but you back in the base directory.  I'm available at work if caught at the right time as work is very fluid for me at the moment.  

Hello Sigma25, I use putty to do my installs and I only have to put it in one time, thats in the virtual machine when I log into the VPS. The only other thing that I have to input is the private key, other than the three installs. I will try to initialize from the console as suggested by Keith first. I never have to put in the IP but once. Then it locates the address, where I log in as root and password. From there I start running commands. Some of them are showing enabled but the majority of them are showing inactive. 

Hi Joe.  I don't use putty.  I use Digital Ocean to access my VPS via the Console.  Once I'm in console, I input my lines of code to create.  Once created, I start the MN after rebooting the wallet.  I then use guapcoin-cli getmasternodestatus to confirm all is working well and status 4.

4 hours ago, Joe said:

I went through and read all the MN in one wallet yesterday and most of issues were "not initialized" eventhough I have initialized from the 3 dots in the wallet. They do show active for hours but will eventually go back to either inactive or expired status. I will try them from the console command that you gave me and go from there. Thanks.

I did them all from the console script that you gave me. I will leave the wallets open for a few hours to see if the status will change. I will update you tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Sigma25 said:

Hi Joe.  I don't use putty.  I use Digital Ocean to access my VPS via the Console.  Once I'm in console, I input my lines of code to create.  Once created, I start the MN after rebooting the wallet.  I then use guapcoin-cli getmasternodestatus to confirm all is working well and status 4.

I do the EXACT same thing. I have created all of mine this way and updated them all before. I don't understand what's up.

16 hours ago, Sigma25 said:

Might be issues with 20.04.  18.04 is more stable with the libraries.   I had some issues with 20.04 installation and had to keep reloading it.  I will report it to the developers.

Thanks man. I will keep swinging!!!

On 1/19/2022 at 6:19 PM, Keith said:

Hey Joe,

I tried all the suggestions last night as I initialized all "missing" MNs from the console script that you gave me. They all initially went from missing to enabled, enabled to inactive, and eventually inactive to missing again. This took place over several hours that I left the wallet up. I usually have one or two that will remain enabled, and the rest will go to missing again.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:56 PM, Sigma25 said:

Folks are available for private support.  Reach out for terms and availability.  Wishing you well.

On 1/21/2022 at 1:35 PM, Sigma25 said:

I recommend rebuilding as 18.04.  

Good morning Sigma25, I have 4 masternodes,  2 in each wallet, that will stay enabled. They are also running 20.04. I have been pulling my hair out. I looked at the info last night  ( guapcoin-cli getinfo ) and noticed that the ones that stay "enabled" are updating to the latest block and the others that go missing aren't. How is this possible if the reside in the same wallet? This is happening with 2 seperate wallets. It seems like a bug to me. The wallet itself will update to the latest block every time and sync...And thank you  and Kevin so much for your help and sharing this frustration with me,